Help getting gtk or qt pinentry dialog forwarded over ssh connection

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Jan 24 18:19:09 CET 2022

On Sun, 23 Jan 2022 21:12, Arjun said:

> I have GPG_TTY=$(tty) set in my .bashrc. However, when I ssh in
>
>     ssh remote

By default ssh does not allow X forwarding.  You need to use an extra
option to ssh to allow X programs on the remote to work on your (local)
X-server.

A quick test is to run  "xfd"  If it runs and tells you no "no font to
display" you can run X programs (like pinentry-gtk) on the remote box.

If you do not fully trust the remote machine (and only then you should
use X forwarding), you may still use gpg/gpgsm on the remote box:  See

  https://wiki.gnupg.org/AgentForwarding

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner