gpg auto-locate-key selects expired/revoked key

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Jun 9 21:40:46 CEST 2022

On Donnerstag, 9. Juni 2022 17:38:04 CEST Mark via Gnupg-users wrote:
> I just looked at what Kleopatra has it set for and it has it set for
> hkp://keys.gnupg.net as well. I'm guessing that is no longer the best
> choice?

Kleopatra 3.1.21.220401 uses whatever `gpgconf --list-options dirmngr` returns
as value for `keyserver`. So it depends on the version of GnuPG you are using.
The default returned by gpgconf 2.3.6 is hkps://keyserver.ubuntu.com.

As Andrew wrote, hkp://keys.gnupg.net is mapped internally by dirmngr to the
default keyserver. For a short while, hkp://keys.gnupg.net was mapped to
hkp://pgp.surf.nl while hkps://keys.gnupg.net was mapped to
hkps://keyserver.ubuntu.com. Since 2.3.5 all URLs with domain name
keys.gnupg.net are mapped to hkps://keyserver.ubuntu.com. The latest 2.2
version still uses hkp://pgp.surf.nl for non-TLS keys.gnupg.net URLs.

Conclusion: For GnuPG 2.3.5 and later hkp://keys.gnupg.net is as good as not
setting a keyserver or as setting it to hkps://keyserver.ubuntu.com. If you
are using a recent GnuPG 2.2, then hkp://keys.gnupg.net is not a good choice.
It's much better not to set a keyserver at all and go with the default. Even
for GnuPG 2.3.5 not setting keyserver is the way to go unless you really want
to use a specific keyserver.

Regards,
Ingo