gpa.exe hungs when click on "smartcards" AND scdaemon cannot recognise SC-HSM

Minas Argyrou minasargyrou at outlook.com
Fri Jun 24 22:47:55 CEST 2022

I am tring it get GnuPG to work with my SmartCard-HSM 4K on Windows, using the
GP4Win bundle.

Kleopatra doesn't recognise the SC-HSM 4K at all, even though, it DOES
recognise the YubiKey 5 NFC in BOTH PIV and Openpgp Card apps.

When trying to use the GPA.exe alternative, it just freezes when I click on
the "smartcards" button; not sure if it's related.

Trying to debug this, using CMD:

    scdaemon --server
    serialno

I get the following result:

> scdaemon[xxxxx]: detected reader 'ACS ACR38U 0' scdaemon[xxxxx]:
> reader slot 0: not connected scdaemon[xxxxx]: pcsc_control failed:
> invalid PC/SC error code (0x1) scdaemon[xxxxx]:
> pcsc_vendor_specific_init: GET_FEATURE_REQUEST failed: 65547
> scdaemon[xxxxx]: reader slot 0: active protocol: T1 scdaemon[xxxxx]:
> slot 0: ATR=3bde18ff8191fe1fxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> scdaemon[xxxxx]: error parsing PrKDF record: Invalid object
> scdaemon[xxxxx]: no supported card application found: Invalid object S
> PINCACHE_PUT 0// ERR 100696144 No such device <SCD>

Below I am including my configuration files.

scdaemon.conf

    ###+++--- GPGConf ---+++###
    verbose
    verbose
    verbose
    verbose
    verbose
    verbose
    verbose
    verbose
    verbose
    disable-ccid
    ###+++--- GPGConf ---+++### 09/06/y22 23:29:33 GTB Daylight Time
    # GPGConf edited this configuration file.
    # It will disable options before this marked block, but it will
    # never change anything below these lines.

    #pcsc-shared

I have tried all possible combinations with `disable-ccid` and `pcsc-shared`
and nothing works.

gpgagent.conf

    ###+++--- GPGConf ---+++###
    enable-extended-key-format
    ignore-cache-for-signing
    no-allow-external-cache
    no-allow-loopback-pinentry
    grab
    pinentry-timeout 10
    verbose
    verbose
    verbose
    verbose
    verbose
    verbose
    verbose
    verbose
    verbose
    ssh-fingerprint-digest SHA384
    ###+++--- GPGConf ---+++### 18/04/y22 07:30:51 GTB Daylight Time
    # GPGConf edited this configuration file.
    # It will disable options before this marked block, but it will
    # never change anything below these lines.

    enable-putty-support
    enable-ssh-support
    use-standard-socket
    default-cache-ttl 600
    max-cache-ttl 7200

gpgsm.conf

    ###+++--- GPGConf ---+++###
    auto-issuer-key-retrieve
    enable-crl-checks
    enable-ocsp
    verbose
    verbose
    verbose
    verbose
    verbose
    verbose
    verbose
    verbose
    verbose
    include-certs -1
    cipher-algo AES256
    ###+++--- GPGConf ---+++### 01/04/y22 19:10:26 GTB Daylight Time
    # GPGConf edited this configuration file.
    # It will disable options before this marked block, but it will
    # never change anything below these lines.

I was never able to get the SC-HSM to work with GnuPG, even though it is
supposedly supported. This is the current time I am trying to figure it out.
This time, I haven't played with anything else than scdaemon.conf, but, as far
as I can tell, the SC-HSM didn't work even with the defaults on a fresh
install.

The card otherwise works nicely with everything else. Any help would be
greatly appreciated!