Cancel operation does not return error code

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Mar 10 22:15:50 CET 2022

On Donnerstag, 10. März 2022 14:30:29 CET Schultschik, Sven via Gnupg-users
wrote:
> if your using gpgme with interactive password entry on the command line and
> the user cancels the operation, shouldn't there be an error returned?
>
> Following code
>
> err = gpgme_op_encrypt(ctx, NULL, GPGME_ENCRYPT_SYMMETRIC, in, out);
>
> fprintf(stdout, "DEBUG ERROR Code = \%d \%s \%s\n" , gpgme_err_code(err),
> gpgme_strsource(err) , gpgme_strerror(err));
>
> If user cancel on the passwort screen, the following error code is returned
>
> ERROR Code = 0 Unspecified source Success

When I run t-encrypt-sym (in gpgme/tests/gpg) and cancel the passphrase dialog
provided by pinentry-qt, then t-encrypt-sym prints
../../../../src/gpgme/tests/gpg/t-encrypt-sym.c:67: GPGME: Operation cancelled

When I force usage of pinentry-tty and cancel the passphrase entry with
Ctrl+D, then I get the same result:
=====
$ ./t-encrypt-sym
Enter passphrase

Passphrase:
../../../../src/gpgme/tests/gpg/t-encrypt-sym.c:67: GPGME: Operation cancelled
=====

So, in general, gpgme_op_encrypt seems to return the correct error code. What
I'm wondering is how do you cancel "interactive password entry on the command
line" resp. how do you do "interactive password entry on the command line"?

Regards,
Ingo