why injecting same RSA keys to different smartcards lead to different key id's

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Mar 13 11:05:06 CET 2022

On Samstag, 12. März 2022 10:19:27 CET Alireza Sadeghpour via Gnupg-users
wrote:
> I've injected the same RSA keys to two different smartcard using the
> pkcs11-tool, but when I import them in the gpg I got different keyids.

This is probably due to the fact that the creation date/time of the key is
included in the calculation of the fingerprint and thus the key ID. My guess
is that the creation date/time differs for the two smartcards.

> Is there any workaround for this problem?

You can experiment with gpg's --faked-system-time option, when you import the
keys from the smartcards, or, alternatively, with some other tool that fakes
the system time.

Regards,
Ingo