(my) E-mail address not found by 'https://keys.openpgp.org'

Henning Follmann hfollmann at itcfollmann.com
Wed Mar 16 20:00:18 CET 2022

On Wed, Mar 16, 2022 at 07:39:35PM +0100, Hubert Lombard wrote:
> Hi Henning!
>
> > On Wed, Mar 16, 2022 at 01:13:00PM +0100, Hubert Lombard wrote:
> > > Hello !
> > >
> > > I recently started to get interested in GPG. Last week, during my
> > > first
> > > tests, I sent my first key to 'keys.gnupg.net'
> > > but I understood only yesterday that this server could have been
> > > compromised since 2019. When I tried to revoke the key permanently,
> > > it
> > > was not found.
> > > So I deleted the key from my computer with Seahorse, and immediately
> > > after, still with Seahorse, I generated  a new key pair using the
> > > same
> > > email address and choosing the key server 'keys.openpgp.org'
> >
> > Why? The integrity of your privat key will not be affected by the
> > keyserver you put your public key on.
> >
> Oh, I didn't know, I was advised yesterday on another irc channel
> (#debian-facile) to change my key server:
>
> "They were ('keys.gnupg.net' and others) all flooded with fake keys
> mid-2019
> this is the reason why debian, among others, uses keys.openpgp.org as a
> keyserver
> see also CVE-2019-13050 (SKS servers poisoning)"

Well, that was good advice, however you didn't have to revoke your
key. Your key was not compromized by using a different key server.

You'll revoke your key when you think something is wrong with
your private key. And it basically is a public notice to
anybody else to not trust that key after a certain date. But
it will not remove the key from anywhere. It's out there for good.

> > > When creating this new key pair, instead of going directly to the
> > > revocation step, I sent my public key.
> > > After that, I performed the revocation step.
> >
> > That again does not make any sense. Why would you create a key pair
> > just to revoke this immediately?
> >
> In fact, while following some instructions for use, I have just tried
> to generate the revocation certificates.
> As English is not my native language, there may have been an ambiguity
> in the form of my question.
> I mistakenly used the term "performed", when I simply tried to generate
> the certificates,
> just to have them on hand...

That is common practice. And yes I obviously misunderstood.

Henning Follmann           | hfollmann at itcfollmann.com