Backing up your PGP key by hand

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Thu May 5 14:12:34 CEST 2022

Matthias Apitz wrote:
> I think, paper tapes as in the years 70 would be the best media for this
> approach.

Paper tape had a high error rate (& tear rate).  It chaffed & built
dirt on reader, & absorbed finger grease & misread whether optical
or capacitive readers. Mylar (plastic) was better, stronger.

Often on long paper tapes we'd read several times & compare to
ensure probably no errors. Checksums weren't so often available.

Our pape tape flew so fast through the reader we held dustbins at
~ 45 degrees to catch it. & then reloaded slower back out of bin
onto winder.

Cheers,
--
Julian Stacey  http://berklix.com/jhs/ http://stolenVotes.uk
Arm Ukraine, kill Putin mass murderer causing global grain & fuel shortage.