Error importing fetching key from wkd

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon May 30 09:27:44 CEST 2022

On Sun, 29 May 2022 13:07, Johan Wevers said:

> Why do they do that? BTW, when I search for brainpool I only find
> definitions and RFC's, I seem unable to find why they are needed (or why
> they would be peferred) over other curves.

That is mostly a political issue: In Europe the use of NIST curves is
not allowed due to security concerns.  In the US the Brainpool curves
are not yet part of the FIPS standard and thus may not be used by the
government.  However, Curve25519 is also not allowed by FIPS but still
included in RedHat's Libgcrypt build.

I am not aware of any patent issues with standard Weierstrass curves
like NIST-P and Brainpool-P curves.  All relevant patents expired a few
years ago.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner

--
The pioneers of a warless world are the youth that
refuse military service.             - A. Einstein