Backing up your PGP key by hand

Matt Borja me at mattborja.dev
Mon May 30 21:52:07 CEST 2022

> If you really care about such long preservation, carving the key into
> stone or baking it in a clay tablet are the only known methods that can
> reliably store data for so long (also because other methods don't exist
> for so long).

I'm also curious about a couple options I don't think I've seen mentioned
as of yet:

   - What about using a laminator in conjunction with the paper hard copy
   in the interest of longevity; and perhaps one of these all-weather Plano
   cases (or perhaps cheaper/simpler: some ABS/PVC encasing)?
   - If we somehow trust the currently available cryptography systems used
   to protect our financial assets (i.e. TLS to encrypt your *connection* to
   your bank website, etc.) and identity and tax information (i.e. bank
   account information, social security, AGI, PII, business, etc.), could the
   same also not be trusted to: 1) encrypt your private key and enable you to
   2) stored said encrypted private key to a redundant medium like a
   cloud-based vault (multiple).
      - Related to this approach: Is the passphrase on a private key not
      sufficient encryption strength to store the private key in a secure cloud
      vault for archival purposes; or could it not be paired with a
second factor
      to derive the same archival benefit?

Seems to me that achieving indefinite longevity could be more readily done
on a computer system that makes it easy to *replicate* bytes on disk; if
some encryption system trustworthy enough exists and could be used
to protect said bytes before replication.