Problems with Gnus (Emacs) + GnuPG for signing a mail with S/MIME

Angel de Vicente angel.de.vicente at iac.es
Fri Nov 11 14:40:13 CET 2022

Hello,

Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de> writes:

> Am Freitag 04 November 2022 20:03:35 schrieb Angel de Vicente:
>> Any ideas as to what might cause this?
>
> Not really, I would start the analysis by asserting that
>   gpgsm --sign
> still works outside of Emacs and then somehow try to emulate the loopback
> mode. Maybe there is a different problem somewhere.

gpgsm --sign outside of Emacs does work without any problems.

I actually have no problems signing with S/MIME also inside Emacs (as
far as the passphrase has been cached). And I have no problems signing
with PGP (pinentry loopback works fine then).

So it looks like something that affects exclusively pinentry loopback
while signing with S/MIME (actually you will see this e-mail signed with
S/MIME. Basically I try to sign it, if I get the error because the
passphrase was not cached, I simply sign a region with PGP (which asks
me correctly for the passphrase and it gets cached, and then I have no
problem signing and sending the message).

I really have no clue what could be going on...

Thanks,
--
Ángel de Vicente
 Research Software Engineer (Supercomputing and BigData)

 GPG: 0x8BDC390B69033F52