Status of original PGP?

Damien Goutte-Gattat dgouttegattat at incenp.org
Thu Sep 8 01:27:41 CEST 2022

On Wednesday, 7 September 2022 23:09:54 BST Robert J. Hansen via Gnupg-users wrote:
> Does anyone know what happened to PGP?

It is *supposedly* still available from Broadcom, under the name “Symantec
Desktop Email Protection” [1].

How you can *actually* get it is another question. My understanding is that
you first need to buy a licence from one of Broadcom’s partners, then get
your licence number [2], and then finally download the software [3].

> My interest in this is purely historical.

I had a somewhat similar interest a while ago. I was trying to find some
technical details about the current version of PGP – e.g., which algorithms
does it support? Did they implement ECC keys? If so, which curves? etc.

I was never able to find this kind of information…

- Damien

[1] https://www.broadcom.com/products/advanced-threat-protection/encryption
[2] https://knowledge.broadcom.com/external/article/206503
[3] https://knowledge.broadcom.com/external/article/193931