S/MIME certificates with LDAP-only CRL uri

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Feb 23 10:35:38 CET 2023

On Mittwoch, 22. Februar 2023 16:35:34 CET Alexander Grahn via Gnupg-users
wrote:
> recently I obtained a free certificate from DGN (German Health Net) for
> signing e-mails. I imported the p12 file  with gpgsm into my keybox and
> added the complete certificate chain to ~/.gnupg/trustlist.txt

You should only add root certificates to the trustlist. It probably doesn't
harm to add non-root certificates, but it doesn't make much sense and it makes
the trustlist longer (and thus less easy to manage) than necessary.

> When I try to sign or encrypt, I get the following error:
>
>   $ gpgsm --armor --sign testfile.txt
>   gpgsm: certificate not found: No public key
>   gpgsm: certificate #410FE63506C68DDF/CN=dgnservice CA 2 Type E:PN,O=DGN
> Deutsches Gesundheitsnetz Service GmbH,C=DE gpgsm: checking the CRL failed:
> Not found
>   gpgsm: error creating signature: Not found <GpgSM>
[...]
> `gpgsm --dump-chain' presents me the following URI:
>
> crlDP:
> ldap://ldap.dgnservice.de:389/CN=CRL-1,O=DGN%20Service%20GmbH,C=DE?certific
> ateRevocationList?base?objectClass=cRLDistributionPoint
>
> Now my question is whether the LDAP server is down, the URI incomplete
> or wrong, or whether the problem is on the GPG end.

The ldapurl tool can parse the URI:
```
$ ldapurl -H 'ldap://ldap.dgnservice.de:389/
CN=CRL-1,O=DGN%20Service%20GmbH,C=DE?certificateRevocationList?base?
objectClass=cRLDistributionPoint'
scheme: ldap
host: ldap.dgnservice.de
port: 389
dn: CN=CRL-1,O=DGN Service GmbH,C=DE
selector: certificateRevocationList
scope: base
filter: objectClass=cRLDistributionPoint
```

I failed to use the ldapsearch tool to actually query the URI. It always tells
me "Could not parse LDAP URI(s)=[...]", but I guess I'm just using it wrong.

> On the other hand,
> I cannot imagine that a wrong LDAP URI remains unnoticed by non-GPG
> users. I know nothing about ldap and how to test such an URI. What can I do?
>
> I am using gnupg-2.4.0 and I double checked that it was compiled with
> ldap support.

Submit a bug report at https://dev.gnupg.org so that this can be tracked
properly.

Regards,