Subkeys renewing/expiring strategy

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Jan 5 14:42:16 CET 2023

On Dienstag, 11. Oktober 2022 19:44:19 CET Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> I'm going to experiment with 1-year-validity of the signing subkeys of my
> commit signing key. Since I use this key exclusively for commit signing, I
> can simply replace it with a completely different key if I change my mind.

Update: After the signing subkey expired, I have added a new subkey and signed
two commits with the new subkey. In GitLab, I had to remove the old copy of
the key before adding the new copy. GitLab keeps the verification state if a
key is removed, but I added the updated key including the expired subkey. That
was a bad idea because GitLab invalidated all commits signed with the expired
subkey.

To fix this I decided to extend the life time of the expired subkey and forget
about the new subkey. I uploaded an export of the updated key *without* the
new subkey to GitLab. After a day or so, GitLab has again marked all my old
signed commits as verified. And the two new commits are still marked as verified
(as GitLab promised).

Conclusion: Rotating signing subkeys isn't the best idea because you have to
take extra care when you update the keys in GitLab (and probably also in
GitHub, etc.). Simply generating completely new (signing) keys is easier. Or
you simply keep using your existing signing key (as I'm doing for now).

Regards,
Ingo