Reminder: use plaintext mails only on ML

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Jan 6 14:42:23 CET 2023

Friends of GnuPG,
a happy new year to all of you!

Now I am taking Andrew (hi) as an example to send a reminder
why using text/plain format only mails is a good idea
on this (and other mailing lists).

Am Samstag 17 Dezember 2022 19:54:39 schrieb Andrew Gallagher via Gnupg-users:
> charset=utf-8"></head><body dir="auto">I’ve been

Because HTML can have a lot of active contents, a number of people
I know sanitize email that have text/html parts. Some ignore such
emails completely.

In the past I know that Werner ignored (most) emails with text/html.

There are more advanted to text/plain mails:
* people can better chose how their email client is displaying the contents,
for instance the font size and color.
* it saves energy because of less bytes transmitted
  and backuped (and indexed, archived and searched).

Best Regards,
Bernhard
ps. On a general remark, I believe there is a productivity gap between people
that use full fledged and customised emails clients to those with only web
and mobile clients. As email is one of the working decentralised communication
solutions, I think we should value it more and thus help people to learn about
the productivity of an email client that they can fully control (on their
hardware) and customize to have one unified interface to several communities.

--
https://intevation.de/~bernhard   +49 541 33 508 3-3
Geschäftsführer Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter