En-/Decryption speed for large files (GnuPG and Gpg4win)

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Sun Jan 15 17:03:38 CET 2023

On Sun, 15 Jan 2023 10:52, Christoph Klassen said:

> When I was testing the decryption I also tried "gpg --decrypt
> test_file.gpg" (without output file) with the 10 GB file and it took 8
> minutes and 47 seconds. I was wondering why it took longer when GnuPG
> didn't need to create an output file.

Because you sent the output the the console.  This is of course slow.

BTW, Do not use gpg4win 4.0.3 - it has a known vulnerability.  Use
gpg4win 4.1.0.  This will also change the numbers because we improved
some things in gpg.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner

--
The pioneers of a warless world are the youth that
refuse military service.             - A. Einstein