OT: DKIM signatures on email messages from lists.gnupg.org

Konstantin Ryabitsev konstantin at linuxfoundation.org
Mon Jun 12 22:06:24 CEST 2023

On Mon, Jun 12, 2023 at 09:54:45PM +0200, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
>  |No it isn't. Changing the subject and adding the footer is a damaging
>  |anti-pattern from mid-nineties. If the end-user wants to filter mail, \
>  |they can
>  |do it based on the List-Id header or any other criteria. Lists that \
>  |still do
>  |this in 2023 need to be updated to no longer do this.
>
> That is your own biased thing to which i am totally opposed to.

It's not "my own biased thing" -- I speak from experience of managing hundreds
of Linux mailing lists.

> The traditional email way uses a single INBOX and dispatches
> non-deleted things from there (also automatically).  I am happy
> that many lists i am on continue to use that subject tagging, or
> reintroduced it, because i get a human-compatible overview with
> a single glance (already thread-sorted) when i look into my INBOX.
> This includes IETF lists, tuhs and coff, 9fans, oss-sec and many
> more.

The "traditional email way" is gone. Anyone who insists on doing things the
way it used to be done in the 90s is doing everyone a disservice because
messages sent by their users will increasingly end up in spam or be rejected
outright. You're contributing to the notion that email is too unreliable to be
used for anything serious, especially via mailing lists.

-K