OT: DKIM signatures on email messages from lists.gnupg.org

Alexander Leidinger Alexander at leidinger.net
Wed Jun 14 08:54:41 CEST 2023

Quoting Alessandro Vesely <vesely at tana.it> (from Tue, 13 Jun 2023
19:56:38 +0200):

> On Tue 13/Jun/2023 13:02:09 +0200 Alexander Leidinger via Gnupg-users wrote:
>> Quoting Alessandro Vesely <vesely at tana.it> (from Tue, 13 Jun 2023
>> 11:19:02 +0200):

>>> http://www.tana.it/sw/zdkimfilter/zdkimfilter.html#mlmtrans for one.
>>> You may call it home grown, but it's not tailored to a specific
>>> sender.  Of course it doesn't work on /every/ signature.  Yours,
>>> for instance, didn't verify.  Gmail's signatures, by contrast,
>>> verify across most mailing lists.
>>
>> "Yours ... didn't verify": via list or direct?
>

> I meant via list.  Direct ones verify well.
>
> BTW your GPG signature doesn't verify.

My MUA tries to alidate the GPG signature against the From-address
(which is @gnupg.org) and as such fails. I haven't tried to validate
by hand. An email which I had send to another mailinglist shows up
with a valid GPG signature in my MUA.

>> Any idea if it was because this lists signature was not stripped
>> (even then, it would need to rewrite the from), or because my
>> signature was stripped (which it shouldn't)?
>

> In the message I'm replying to, it was stripped (why?)  In the one
> before that it didn't verify, probably because of the Reply-To:.  (I
> can probably fix that, but not today.)

My mails which I get from the list into my inbox all have my
signature. As such the original message shall have it. Your
Thunderbird will strip my signature in the reply-window, as it knows
"^-- $" (regex notation) as a signature separator and IIRC the default
option in Thunderbird is to strip signatures on reply.

>>> "mailing_list" is one of the provided policy override cases for
>>> DMARC.  RFC 7489 describes it like so:
>>
>> Appendix C, DMARC XML Schema -> so it's in the report which is
>> send. Did I overlook any other place in this RFC which describes
>> that mailing lists can or should or have to be exempt from DKIM
>> processing? If not, what do you expect the usual behavior of DKIM
>> validation software is? Will it have an heuristic for mailing list
>> detection? Also see "A.3 Sender Header Field" in the RFC, which
>> explicitly calls it a "poor candiate for inclusion in the DMARC
>> evaluation algorithm".
>

> There is no deterministic way to determine if a message is from a

I agree.

> mailing list.  Signatures, either DKIM or ARC, ease that task.  In
> this respect, I'd sign with d=lists.gnupg.org, not d=gnupg.org.

That would be sensible, if DKIM signing is something the list-owners
want to do.

Bye,
Alexander.

--