Mastodon account(s), server search

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu May 25 18:23:37 CEST 2023

Hello,

Am Donnerstag 01 Dezember 2022 17:42:47 schrieb Bernhard Reiter:
> seems to be a good time to start an official Mastodon account
> for GnuPG and related topics like Gpg4win and OpenPGP.

this plan was frozen
 first by the future OpenPGP standards (see gnupg-devel@ from the 26th on).
 secondly by me being unable to work for several weeks

> At least for announcements and some interaction as the interest
> is growing for this decentral platform.

I'm picking it up again and assume ongoing interest.

== Server selection details

>  initial rough requirements:
>  * located in Europe
     (preferred, because many GnuPG / Gpg4win people
      know the legal environment in the EU better)
>  * can be volunteeringly paid for
>  * some volume / track record to expect a good administration
>  * a moderation and contents policy that allows for respectful
>    exchange, but is liberal in that commercial Free Software
>    topics (and broad other topics) are allowed as well.
>  * (optional) Free Software and privacy friendly organisation

Found more:
 * can take the potential load (https://twitter.com/gnupg as 20k followers)
 * (optional) Tor network access
 * German any English?

The latter is a question if we should make two account, one for Englisch and
one for German. There are quite a lot of German speaking Gpg4win and GnuPG
users, it probably is the second largest group after English.

Thanks again for the server suggestions, my current ranking is:
  1. https://mstdn.social 35k account
     Has everything, strong point: Tor access.
     Weak point: no advertising
     I've asked, and it is okay to write about professional
     Free Software products as long as it does not flood the public timeline.

  2. infosec.exchange 18k
     Servers rented in Germany, Responsible Person in the US. No Tor.
     No FS preferance.
     Strong point: Infosec community (and moderators from that topic)

  3. fosstodon.org 16k
     No Tor.
     weak point: English post only.

All are suitable servers and we could migrate of course.
Maybe I'm looking for a server which is a little bit smaller as a forth
alternative. (I've gave https://pleroma.social servers a brief look, but I
haven't found a good match. ;) )

Best Regards
Bernhard

--
https://intevation.de/~bernhard   +49 541 33 508 3-3
Geschäftsführer Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter