sopv-gpgpv: an implementation of the verification-only subset of the Stateless OpenPGP CLI using gpgv as a backend

andrewg andrewg at andrewg.com
Tue Aug 6 13:11:01 CEST 2024

On 2024-08-05 19:08, Björn Persson wrote:
> Daniel Kahn Gillmor via Gnupg-users wrote:
>> For example, if the detached signature contains multiple signatures,
>> and
>> gpgv can't verify one of them, it will return a non-zero error code,
>> even if it *can* verify the other signature.
>
> It's true that requiring verification of all the signatures is not
> always desirable. Allowing all but one to fail is not always right
> either. Deciding how many correct signatures should be required is
> nontrivial. I doubt any general verification tool can automatically do
> the right thing in every case without parameters telling it what's
> desired in the specific usecase.

The easiest way to do this would be to add an option to require N
verified signatures for success rather than one (which IMO should still
be the default).

>> The usual approach for that would be to sign the file with both the
>> old
>> and new algorithms, and put them both in the detached signature file.
>> That way, existing implementations can continue to verify the old
>> algorithm, and newer implementations can verify the new one.
>
> I don't remember ever seeing an example of that approach. As far as I
> can tell, the usual approach is to have verification tools support both
> old and new algorithms. Signers switch keys and signatures to the new
> algorithm when they think support for it is sufficiently widespread.
> Then support for the old algorithm is removed from tools when almost
> nobody uses it anymore.

The downside of asking signers to guess when support for a signature
algorithm is "sufficiently widespread" is that it forces them to be
excessively conservative in what they produce, because the impact of a
low number of signature failures (and the subsequent complaints) is
high. The principle of "a broken signature is a missing signature" is
much more robust and future-proof.