Cannot export SSH public key

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Jan 5 14:42:58 CET 2024

On Fri,  5 Jan 2024 10:07, Felix E. Klee said:

>>     gpg-connect-agent updatestartuptty /bye
>
> or otherwise, I get no PIN entry dialog / prompt

That is right.  The ssh-agent protocol has no means to tell the
ssh-agent or gpg-agent some important environment cariabales, like the
current tty or DISPLAY.  I can't remember what ssh-askpass (?) works but
for GnUPG, gpg-agent uses the tty/display from where it was launched if
it does not know anything else

updatestartuptty tells gpg-agent that it should assume that the
tty/display whenre gpg-connect-agent was run should be the new default.

Fixing this in the ssh-agent protocol would be easy and I actually
implemented this but did not found the time to keep on nagging them to
include my patch to pass arbitrary envvars over the ssh-agent protocol.

The gnupg part has long been implemented:
https://dev.gnupg.org/rG224e26cf7b67f22bb0140133eac6b4ad24f3b1b7 and
somewhere on the openssh ML one should find my patch.

I am so used to run the updatestartuptty that I don't even think about
this.  It is the first thing I do when I ssh into my laptop.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner

--
The pioneers of a warless world are the youth that
refuse military service.             - A. Einstein