baffled at "Chapter 1. Getting Started" due to gpg: agent_genkey failed: No pinentry

Eva Bolten Eva.Bolten at gnupg.com
Mon Jul 22 09:37:26 CEST 2024

Hi Dennis,

would you mind telling us which gpg version you are using and what your
distribution is?

> oberon$ gpgconf --list-config
> gpgconf: can't open global config file
> '/usr/local/etc/gnupg/gpgconf.conf': No such file or directory
> oberon$

man gpgconf
[...]
/etc/gnupg/gpgconf.conf
     If this file exists, it is processed as a global configuration file.
     This is  a  legacy  mechanism  which  should  not  be  used together with
     the  modern  global  per  component configuration files.  A commented
     example can be found in the ‘examples’ directory of the distribution.

> So I guess I need to read a pile of manpages and figure out how
> to create a config file that tells gpg where things are. This is
> bizarre behavior on a UNIX/Linux system where I guess the PATH
> just does not matter much. Then again .... I don't know.

As I had an issue with pinentry after a recent pinentry update on Arch Linux
(the bash script "pinentry" Arch provided decided that I want pinentry-
curses…) and your issues started with a pinentry problem, this it how I solved
mine:

You can tell gpg explicitly which pinentry programm to use.
Put the following line in yout gpg-agent.conf:
pinentry-program /PATH/TO/YOUR/PINENTRY

Create the file in you GNUPGHOME if it does not exist.
GNUPGHOME is usually ~/.gnupg

Regards

Eva

--
g10 Code GmbH         GnuPG.com           AmtsGer. Wuppertal HRB 14459
Bergstr. 3a                               Geschäftsführung Werner Koch