GNU Privacy Handbook typo

Eric Pruitt eric.pruitt at gmail.com
Sat Jun 8 05:26:05 CEST 2024

On Fri, Jun 07, 2024 at 06:03:22PM -0500, Jacob Bachmeyer via Gnupg-users wrote:
> Strictly, "their" is plural in English

No, it is not. "They" and "their" have been used as gender-neutral,
singular pronouns for centuries. Even if that wasn't the case, it's
widely accepted in modern colloquial usage. We can't just ossify the
language because some people don't like that a word can have multiple,
context-sensitive meanings. "They/their" isn't even unique in that
manner when it comes to pronouns; "we" has been used as a singular
pronoun for royalty for centuries, and "you" can be both singular and
plural depending on the context -- at least in some American dialects.

Eric