gpg-agent timeout

ael witwall3 at disroot.org
Tue Jun 11 18:18:42 CEST 2024

On Mon, Jun 10, 2024 at 08:54:56AM +0200, Werner Koch wrote:
> Hi
>
> which pinnetry are you you using?  If you run gpg with -v it should dhow
> the pinentry used.

gpg: pinentry launched (8131 gnome3 1.2.1 /dev/pts/3 xterm-256color :0.0 20620/500/5 500/500 -)

While you are here, I am just trying to find a good stategy to detect
typing errors in the passphrase when encoding. I know that you/pinentry
require the pasphrase to be entered twice, but maybe CAPS lock was on
and I had not noticed. Or I just am having a bad day I miss one of the
words in a long passphrase. Maybe a bit paranoid.

>From my initial experiments, pinentry does not remember an encryption
passphrase for the next decryption, and I can see why.

For now, I have set up a test file with an encrypted version. So after I
have encrypted a real file, I can then also encrypt the test file and
check that it matches the encypted test. This depends on pinentry
remembering the possibly incorrect passphrase long enough to make the
check. I have not tried the --enhanced switch which perhaps is going in
this direction, although I need to find out how to set that when
starting gpg2. Maybe it is on the man page, but it is so lon that it is
hard to find things there.

I will copy to the list since others may have similar concerns.

Thanks for all the work,

ael