OpenPGP card or USB dongle uTrust stopped working

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Tue Jun 18 13:30:13 CEST 2024

Hello,

I do use since "ages" an OpenPGP card in an USB dongle "uTrust 3512"
with GnuPG, mostly for the password-store. Today, from one minute to the
other it stopped working. On attach the uTrust shows up fine in
/var/log/messages with:

Jun 18 13:08:52 c720-1400094 kernel: ugen0.4: <Identiv uTrust 3512 SAM slot Token> at usbus0

but when I access the card, the message is:

$ gpg2 --card-status
gpg: selecting card failed: Operation not supported by device
gpg: OpenPGP card not available: Operation not supported by device

and the LEDs on the dongle keep flickering for some seconds (even after
the message is already printed).

How can I detect if the problem is the SIM-card or the USB dongle? The
problem is in both USB ports of my laptop, that's why I would say, the
ports are fine.

Petra (info at floss-shop.de), do you have in FLOSS-shop tools to test such
a card? I could send it over to you.

The situation is not very problematic because I have the same
passord-store in two mobile cellphones with OpenPGP cards too.

Thanks

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru at unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045