Text (non-binary) keyring format

Alejandro Colomar alx at kernel.org
Thu Sep 12 13:28:37 CEST 2024

Hi,

I have my ~/.gnupg keyring under git source control, which helps
creating and updating backups, and also having a history of the changes.
I find that having the contents in binary format is odd, and think it
would be much better if it was all stored in text files.  I would be
able to understand the diffs, and if a failure happens before a backup,
I'd probably be able to at least diff(1) the contents of the keyring and
recover something.

Would you consider developing a new format for the keyring, where stuff
is divided in small text files, just like most Unix stuff?

Have a lovely day!
Alex

--
<https://www.alejandro-colomar.es/>