Text (non-binary) keyring format

Ralph Seichter ralph at ml.seichter.de
Fri Sep 13 02:22:06 CEST 2024

* Alejandro Colomar via Gnupg-users:

> I have my ~/.gnupg keyring under git source control, which helps
> creating and updating backups, and also having a history of the
> changes.  I find that having the contents in binary format is odd, and
> think it would be much better if it was all stored in text files.

I have my GnuPG keyrings and config under version control as well.
However, I think that the key material does not really lend itself
to text-based inspection with something like 'diff', in contrast to
config files.

For recovery, I have sometimes accessed historic keyrings, but only as a
whole. and then exported a certain key, to be re-imported into my newer
keyring. I don't see myself accessing some part of a keyring without
using the GnuPG binary, so I wonder what tanglibe benefit a text-based
storage format would bring to the table?

-Ralph