[gnutls-dev] Re: GnuTLS 1.5.1 for Windows

Ralf Angeli angeli at caeruleus.net
Thu Sep 21 22:21:44 CEST 2006

* Simon Josefsson (2006-09-21) writes:

> Don't forget that GnuTLS is available under Windows!

Cool, thanks!

> I'm interested in feedback about the package, since it is quite
> experimental.  Are you able to install it?

Yes.

> Does it work?

I'm not sure.  I get the following when executing the first line in
cmd.exe.  The output appears till the line starting with "220".  After
that it does nothing.  When typing `C-c' for aborting the operation
the last lines (starting with "***") appear.

C:\foo>gnutls-cli --print-cert --port 25 --starttls smtp.web.de
Resolving 'smtp.web.de'...
Connecting to '217.72.192.157:25'...

- Simple Client Mode:

220 smtp06.web.de ESMTP WEB.DE V4.107#114 Thu, 21 Sep 2006 22:08:51 +0200
*** Starting TLS handshake
*** Fatal error: A record packet with illegal version was received.
*** Handshake has failed
^C

I am not able to send mail using smtpmail.el in Gnus either.  I am not
sure however if this is the fault of GnuTLS.  The only output after
aborting the operation (which will hang as well) I can see in the SMTP
trace buffer (`smtpmail-debug-info' set to t) is this:

220 smtp.1und1.de (mrelayeu4) Welcome to Nemesis ESMTP server^M
EHLO NEUTRINO^M
QUIT^M

--
Ralf