[gnutls-dev] Re: Symbol versioning in gnutls 1.5.x

Andreas Metzler ametzler at downhill.at.eu.org
Tue Sep 26 19:48:40 CEST 2006

On 2006-09-25 Simon Josefsson <jas at extundo.com> wrote:
> Andreas Metzler <ametzler at downhill.at.eu.org> writes:
[...]
> > Both ways to fix the issue (decrement soname or bump symbol versioning)
> > will break binaries linking against 1.5. Reverting the unnecessary
> > soname bump seems to be the better alternative.

> Ok, I'm doing this now.  To avoid colliding with gnutls 1.4.x (that
> use shared library version 13.0.x -- also, most likely there will
> never be any ABI changes in 1.4.x and thus no so version 13.1.x from
> that branch), I bumped the so version for gnutls 1.5.2 to 13.1.0.

Hello,
I am sure the following is obvious to anybody but me: ;-)

Afaict you have now gone from
                current revision        age
1.4.4           13      9               0
CVS HEAD        14      0               1

which is libtool's way of saying, "new release, some interfaces have
been added, none have been removed". As 1.4.4 is in freeze its
interface should stay stable (unless there some bug requiring to
change it) and therefore 1.4.x will not "catch up".

You have cheated a little bit because actually 1.5.x does not include
any new interfaces yet.

> I glanced through Drepper's howto on writing DSO's again, but it isn't
> really clear to me whether we are doing the right thing here.  The
> situation is a bit more complex when you want to avoid collisions
> between two current branches of the same library too.  It is also not
> clear how things work on non-GNU/Linux platforms without GNU ld.so.

Depending on the architecture anything might happen I guess, but you
have given libtool sane information to deal with.

I think this is ok.

cu andreas
--
The 'Galactic Cleaning' policy undertaken by Emperor Zhark is a personal
vision of the emperor's, and its inclusion in this work does not constitute