[gnutls-dev] GnuTLS 1.7.8.p11.0

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Fri May 4 14:06:05 CEST 2007

"Alon Bar-Lev" <alon.barlev at gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I was about to get this implementation and suggest an alternative,
> only to discover that you are not doing any private key operations.

Hi!  Right.  I wanted to get things out as soon as possible, and right
now getting the CA trust stuff is all that I can show to be working.

> So there is no implementation to modify, and I don't wish to re-write
> the large part of GnuTLS code.
>
> So I ask you again, please implement a callback structure for engines,
> this callback should have the following methods:
>
> typedef struct {
>    void *user_data;
>    int (*init)(void *user_data);
>    int (*cleanup)(void *user_data);
>    int (*sign)(void *user_data, int algorithm, size_t input_size,
> const unsigned char * const input, size_t *output_size, unsigned char
> * const output);
>    int (*decrypt)(void *user_data, int algorithm, size_t input_size,
> const unsigned char * const input, size_t *output_size, unsigned char
> * const output);
> } engine_t;
>
> Provide a replacement function for:
> gnutls_certificate_set_x509_key_file ()
> Something like:
> gnutls_certificate_set_x509_key_engine
> (gnutls_certificate_credentials_t res, engine_t *engine)

It will be something like that.  It may start out as somewhat simpler,
to better fit with how the GnuTLS API works today: right now
applications can be invoked with a callback to retrieve the appropriate
cert+key.  They need some function to get the user certificates and key
handles from the PKCS#11 layer.  I'm thinking this interface will be:

  int gnutls_pkcs11_get_user_certificates (gnutls_x509_crt_t ** cert_list,
						unsigned int *ncerts);

Or similar.

When an application, in the certificate callback, indicate that the
private key is 'NULL', they will have to provider another callback to
perform the sign operation, otherwise the user certificate will be
ignored.  That function should likely receive the user certificate or
similar.  GnuTLS should have an API available to perform the sign
operation using PKCS#11, but it could also let the application perform
the sign operation in any way it chose.  This way, the interface will
not be specific to PKCS#11, but it will be easy to make PKCS#11 work.

> This will allow application to enumerate the token certificates, set
> the trust correctly by using the regular
> gnutls_certificate_set_x509_trust_file() call, and handle the
> sign/decrypt in any way it likes... One implementation may be PKCS#11.

I started providing such an API, but then I realized that it doesn't
work with the callback approach that GnuTLS offers.
gnutls_certificate_set_key etc doesn't do anything if used within a
callback.  Hence the current more flexible approach, which doesn't
involve modifying the gnutls_certificate_* functions or structures.

> As I said before, if you provide such interface, I will provide a
> *COMPLETE* and *WORKING* PKCS#11 support for GnuTLS, after a day or
> two.
>
> It will also clean up your implementation, and allow many other
> engines to be added.
>
> Another alternative is to wait for you to have a remotely working
> solution, and create a patch for the above (this is what I intended to
> do now...), but it would be much cleaner if you create the interface
> as you know GnuTLS best, and it will save a lot of work for all.
>
> Please consider to cooperate, you loose nothing, as you will be able
> to use the same interface for your implementation as-well.

Of course!  I think the best is for me to produce an API that works for
me and fits with how GnuTLS works.  I believe it will be quite close to
what you need, even if not perfectly the same.  The API will not be
fixed until it is merged into the normal experimental branch.  There
will be several iterations of release on the PKCS#11 branch until that
happens, and your input is valuable here.  I think it would be useful to
demonstrate interoperability with at least some other PKCS#11 provider
than Scute until the API is ready.

Regards,
Simon