[gnutls-dev] API comments

Nikos Mavroyanopoulos nmav at hellug.gr
Tue Dec 4 23:18:02 CET 2001

On Tue, 4 Dec 2001 20:18:51 +0100 (CET) Simon Josefsson <jas at vic20.blipp.com> wrote:

> > It says that "Returns the number of bytes sent, or a negative error code.",
> > but it may still not be clear. What do you propose?
> The complete documentation also say:  The function has the same semantics
> as read() has.  This simply isn't true, it returns
> GNUTLS_E_{INTERRUPTED,EAGAIN} which read() doesn't do.  Those error codes
> aren't mentioned in the read() documentation either.
I'll make the documentation more precise.

> My suggestion would be to not mess with the return values for read() and
> write(), it would be simpler to replce TCP read()/write() with TLS if it
> was this way, and the TLS libraries I've used worked this way /as far as I
> can remember anyway).
Well I don't think that this would do much good. I'll have to use an errno
variable to report errors (and other messages like rehandshake). That's an
extra variable to cope with. Why don't you like the negative error codes?

> > > I think it would be nice if they did work as
> > > read() and write(), I believe both Open SSL and Mozilla NSS do that.
Well some implementations use something like tls_bind() or tls_accept().
These have no meaning in TLS or SSL. Also tls_read() and tls_write() need
to report many more things than the normal TCP/IP read() and write().
Thus I've decided to create an API that relates to TLS and not TCP (but still
has a lot of similarities). Anyway I think that it is important
for developers to know some things about tls before using any tls layer library.
(at least as much as sockets developers know about tcp/ip)

> > I'm trying not to tight gnutls to berkeley style sockets, or even TCP/IP.
> Good. The type name "SOCKET" always bothered me.
I've renamed this to GNUTLS_SOCKET_PTR (gnutls is there to avoid namespace polution).

--
Nikos Mavroyanopoulos
mailto:nmav at hellug.gr