Fw: Re: GNU TLS Licensing

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed May 23 10:11:01 CEST 2001

On Wed, 16 May 2001, Nikos Mavroyanopoulos wrote:

> > Okay. Do you think relicensing gnutls would be an option if libgcrypt could
> > be relicensed?
> Yes it would be an option. The original idea was to be GPL since openssl was
> available for commercial programs. However I think we need some advocacy here.

No, we won't change libgcrypt to LGPL.

I know that the reasoning behind LGPLing the basic GNOME libraries.
However if someone want's to get the benefit of encryption under
GNOME he should play fair and GPL his software too.  There are ways
to work around this but I won't give hints on how to do this.

Changing everything too LGPL would just help to boost proprietary
software; given that GNOME is part of GNU I don't think that this is
a good idea.

  Werner