[gnutls-dev] Problem linking gnutls 1.0.16

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sun Jul 25 00:01:34 CEST 2004

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004, Nikos Mavroyanopoulos wrote:
>> ./src/common.o
>> Objects from libtool convenience libraries are extracted to individual
>> .o files prior to use so it is likely that this is why the linker
>> fails to see the symbols (two common.o files in the same library,
>> oops!).
>
> Well the lib/x509/common.c is in the library and the src/common.c
> is for the gnutls-cli and gnutls-serv programs. It seems like a bug
> in the linker. I cannot think of any linker that does not allow a file
> to be named the same in a library and program, though.

The point is that if the x509 library is a libtool "convenience"
library then its objects are extracted to regular .o files before
linking the application.  In this case it is not treated like a true
archive library.

Even if the bug was in the linker (doubtful), then gnutls must work
around it since this linker has sucessfully linked tens of thousands
of other libraries and programs and it is a component of a major
platform.

>> I did have to update a number of Makefile.am files in packages gnutils
>> depends on since the library dependencies were sometimes not
>> completely listed.  Apparently the Linux linker will silently insert
>> library dependencies (recorded in the .so file), but this is not true
>> of most platforms so it is necessary to tell libtool about all
>> dependencies so they can be recorded in the .la file.
>
> Which dependencies did you have to add?

I will have to do some diffing against the original source packages in
order to figure that out.

Has gnutls only been built and tested under Linux?

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us