[gnutls-dev] Re: Memory leeks?

Simon Josefsson jas at extundo.com
Thu Sep 2 21:18:25 CEST 2004

Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org> writes:

>> How to generate randomness should probably be orthogonal to the crypto
>> back end used as well.  So here's the plan:
>
> I don't think so.  A RNG is a basic building from cryptographic and
> actually the hardest thing to do.  Not providing an easy API for this
> will for sure lead to improper use of the other building blocks.  We
> have seen in the past forgotten RNG intialization in many applications
> and thus Libgcrypt tries its best to provide random by default.

Right.  I didn't mean that the interface should be different, all
calls should go through the same gc random functions:

/* Randomness. */
extern int gc_nonce (char *data, size_t datalen);
extern int gc_pseudo_random (char *data, size_t datalen);
extern int gc_random (char *data, size_t datalen);

What might be possible to change at configure time would be whether
those calls will use Libgcrypt, /dev/*random or Yarrow seeded from a
specific file.

Btw, I'm not completely happy with those API names, perhaps the last
function should be called gc_strong_random.  The problem is that the
function typically return pseudo randomness, since that's what
Libgcrypt and /dev/*random have.  So then it is a bit confusing in
what way gc_random differ from gc_pseudo_random.  Perhaps it is best
to avoid giving the impression that any of them have "real"
randomness, just various level of entropy...

Thanks,
Simon