[gnutls-dev] gnutls's sonames

Matthias Urlichs smurf at smurf.noris.de
Sat Mar 12 15:39:53 CET 2005

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation. So you'd ship many versions of your lib,
linked against different gnutls versions, and then use the one that
actually works on the system in question -- correct?

Tim Ringenbach:
> Yeah, I figured I would install several additional versions of gnutls in
> private prefixes, and use those to link against. Unless gnutls is
> parallel installable, but I don't think it is.

The library itself is, but the development headers plus linkable .so lib
isn't.

> I know whenever e.g. gtk, changes its soname,

They didn't just change the soname -- they changed the whole library name.
The gtk people had a point, though -- gtk1.2 and gtk2 are essentially
different libraries, not just the same library with a few minor changes
or extensions.

Matthias Urlichs   |   {M:U} IT Design @ m-u-it.de   |  smurf at smurf.noris.de