[gnutls-dev] Re: ongoing entropy problems

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Feb 1 09:43:16 CET 2006

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 19:30:29 +0100, Andreas Metzler said:

> For bug #2 /dev/urandom is used, therefore there is no blocking in

Who is using /dev/urandom: Exim proper or gnutls/libgcrypt?

> exim, just the fact that anything using /dev/random will block, as
> there is no entropy left.

For my understanding, will someone be so kind to answer these
questions:

 1. Does gnutls use GCRY_VERY_STRONG_RANDOM?

 2. Does gnutls save the random seed file?
        gcry_control (GCRYCTL_SET_RANDOM_SEED_FILE, filename);
      atexit:
        gcry_control (GCRYCTL_UPDATE_RANDOM_SEED_FILE);

 3. Does the problem only occur for inetd invoked exims?

Thanks,

  Werner