[gnutls-dev] c++ interface to gnutls.h

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Thu Jun 1 19:33:08 CEST 2006

On Wed 31 May 2006 21:39, Rupert Kittinger-Sereinig wrote:

> I have not done a detailed review, but here are some points I
> noticed:

Hello Rupert,
 thanks for the comments. I've already addressed some of them. (see
below)

> - exceptions for error handling: will all error conditions throw
> exceptions?

Yes except for non fatal errors. The functions that only throw fatal
exceptions now have a void return type.

> - I would like to be able to extract the error code from the
> exception, not just a message string.
Indeed. Updated.

> - I recommend removing all throw() specifications except where
> required by the standard (i.e. exception::what()). See e.g. the boost
> rationale:
> http://www.boost.org/more/lib_guide.htm#Exception-specification
> - All those get_ functions should get a const attribute.
done.

> - most of the classes will need special treatment for copy and
> assignement.

will address at a later time.

> - The session class looks somewhat bloated to me. How about providing
> a hierarchy of classes that present different subsets of the
> functionality?

Indeed it could be cleaner. Any proposals?

> - consistency: the c interface uses a mixture of gnutls_datum, char*,
> unsigned char*, void*, paired with unsigned int, size_t. It would be
> great if the c++ Interface would just stick to one variant, like
> std::vector<unsigned char>.

Hmmm that's tricky to wrap in most of the cases, but it would provide a
cleaner api, that's true. If you have any good suggestions on that
they're welcome.

> - I think there a session cache should be implemented as an object.
> so it would be nice to provide a base class that provides member
> functions equivalent to the gnutls_db_func types and handles the
> installation of forwarding functions.

Yes this was my original idea. Now it's implemented.

In general i've quite limited time for that so if you or anyone else is
interested in that and more in hurry than me, I've put my current
sources at:
http://members.hellug.gr/nmav/misc/gnutlsxx.h
http://members.hellug.gr/nmav/misc/gnutlsxx.cpp