[gnutls-dev] Request for goals for GnuTLS 1.7.x

Guus Sliepen guus at sliepen.eu.org
Thu Nov 30 13:35:25 CET 2006

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 03:14:03PM -0800, Adam Langley wrote:

> On 11/29/06, Simon Josefsson <simon at josefsson.org> wrote:
> >Of course, if you just want to suggest something, that
> >is appreciated too, but no promises. :)
>
> DTLS (TLS over datagrams, e.g. UDP) has been discussed here a couple
> of times, but I don't actually know if it ever happened. (I just think
> it would be cool).

I said I'd try to implement that in GNUTLS, however I haven't created
anything useful yet. It's not trivial at all.

There is one thing that may be helpful for DTLS support, and also for
some regular TLS uses, is to have a different way to pass data to
GNUTLS. Currently, you either do gnutls_handshake(), gnutls_read() or
gnutls_write(), and those functions call read() and write() on the
filedescriptors themselves. I can specify custom push and pull
functions of course, but that doesn't change much. I'd like to see a
function to push data from a (D)TLS stream, received by the application
itself, to GNUTLS, and have GNUTLS invoke a callback if it contained
application data.

    Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.eu.org>