[gnutls-dev] OpenCDK comments

Timo Schulz twoaday at gmx.net
Tue Apr 24 11:55:16 CEST 2007

Simon Josefsson wrote:

>> Right now I don't know the internals of the GnuTLS code to say
>> anything about it. Maybe we can remove the callbacks without
>> breaking the code?
>
> Hm.  Do GnuTLS currently use the keyserver stuff?!  I wonder how it
> handles the blocking problem.

Now, I'm really confused. I thought I have seen it somewhere in
the code. But I can't find it again. Maybe it was just a stub.

> Perhaps OpenCDK could use that infrastructure directly instead?

The purpose of the lib is that it will be lightweight and fast. IMHO,
for real OpenPGP tasks, a real OpenPGP should be used. Like GPG. My idea
was to have the lib for key conversion, simple en- and decryption and
to allow packet handling. For example to use OpenPGP keys in an
application, a task gpgme cannot be accomplish because it is a high
level API lib. Otherwise gpgme is perfect and actually I use it myself
in many applications.

> However, I think there are more important things to fix related to
> OpenPGP than this.  I don't know if downloading keys from a keyserver
> is something that typical OpenPGP clients or servers would actually be

That's also my point. IMHO it would be the best idea to focus on the
current code and to clean it up. Keyserver and trustdb issues are
not really important right now, IMHO.

	Timo