[gnutls-dev] Integrating Guile bindings?

Ludovic Courtès ludovic.courtes at laas.fr
Wed Apr 25 16:45:23 CEST 2007

Simon Josefsson <simon at josefsson.org> writes:

> I have GnuTLS installed in /usr/lib (from Debian) and newer libraries in
> /usr/local/lib.  Configuring guile-gnutls results in:

[...]

> Linking an application with those parameters won't make it use
> libgnutls.so from /usr/local/lib, a -Wl,-rpath or similar is required
> too.
>
> This results in 'make check' failing.
>
> Modifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH is ugly.  It is a bad recommendation.
>
> I believe configure should simply work automatically in this not at all
> uncommon situation.

Yeah, I usually use a similar setting (home-built lib in `/usr/local')
and work around this by having `LD_LIBRARY_PATH' include
`/usr/local/lib'.  There's nothing wrong with updating
`LD_LIBRARY_PATH', though, as it is required anyway to get the right lib
loaded.

Nevertheless, it would certainly be nicer if it worked "out of the box".

> Several optional things are described in the manual now...  It is a pain
> to maintain separate manuals though, when generating and uploading them
> to <http://www.gnu.org/software/gnutls/documentation.html>.  Also, I
> would think that having the guile interface be documented in the
> standard GnuTLS manual also leads to wider adoption and spread of the
> guile bindings.

Good point!  :-)

> But I don't think strongly about it.
>
> Possibly the guile-gnutls manual could be written as a standalone
> manual, although the main gnutls manual could @include it.

Right, and we could arrange to just ": > guile-gnutls.texi" when Guile
is not available.

> Oh, yes, right, one requirement to add anything to the core GnuTLS
> package is that the copyright is transferred to the FSF

I guess that would fall under my copyright assignment for GnuTLS, so I'd
basically just need to change the copyright line in each file and we're
done.

> and that
> generally it follows the GNU project's standards (which, among other
> things, imply that the manual is GFDL).  You should read:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/
> http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/

This should be ok.  If you notice any specific point where it deviates
from the standards, please let me know.

Thanks,
Ludovic.