[gnutls-dev] pkg-config file for libgnutls

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Thu Feb 15 12:01:13 CET 2007

Pavlov Konstantin <thresh at altlinux.ru> writes:

> Hello everyone.
>
> I noticed that my libgnutls-devel package doesn't depend on libtasn1-devel
> one.
>
> Looks like this is due to that line in .pc file:
>
> Libs.private: -L/usr/lib -lgnutls -ltasn1  -lgcrypt -lgpg-error
>
> Shouldnt it be Libs: -L${libdir} @LIBGNUTLS_LIBS@ instead?
>
> Without libtasn1-devel installed, macro AM_PATH_LIBGNUTLS doesnt work.

As far as I understand the pkg-config documentation, Libs.private is
for static linking and Libs is for dynamic linking.  So I think that
this is correct, since the dynamic linker takes care of the
dependencies.

Libs: -L${libdir} -lgnutls
Libs.private: @LIBGNUTLS_LIBS@

Possibly we could have a 'Requires: libtasn1' line added, which I
think would have the effect as you want: 'pkg-config --libs gnutls'
will mention -ltasn1.

/Simon