[gnutls-dev] Preparing for the next stable release

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Mon Jul 9 00:50:45 CEST 2007

Simon Josefsson <simon at josefsson.org> writes:

>> For some reason, I'm now (again) unable to produce the PDF.  The
>> relevant error message is:
>>
>>   ! Emergency stop.
>>   <*> ...ut /home/ludo/src/gnutls/doc/internals.texi
>>
>>   *** (job aborted, no legal \end found)
>>
>>   !  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
>>
>> Any idea?
>
> I haven't seen that before.  Possibly some file got corrupted?  Can you
> reproduce it from a fresh checkout?  (try gitco to simulate a clean
> checkout: <http://blog.josefsson.org/2007/03/14/gitco/>).

I could reproduce it... the problem is that make wants to refresh
internals.pdf from internals.texi, which won't work (internals.texi
isn't a standalone texi file, and furthermore, internals.pdf isn't built
from it).

jas at mocca:~/src/gnutls/doc$ make gnutls.info
TEXINPUTS="../build-aux:$TEXINPUTS" \
        MAKEINFO='/bin/sh /home/jas/src/gnutls/build-aux/missing --run makeinfo -I ../doc  -I .' \
        texi2dvi -I ../doc --pdf --batch internals.texi
This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
 file:line:error style messages enabled.
 %&-line parsing enabled.
entering extended mode

(/home/jas/src/gnutls/doc/internals.texi
/home/jas/src/gnutls/doc/internals.texi:28: Missing $ inserted.
<inserted text>

Debugging this, I find:

Updating goal targets....
 File `gnutls.info' does not exist.
   Prerequisite `internals.texi' is newer than target `internals.pdf'.
  Must remake target `internals.pdf'.

So it seems the problem was caused by having internals.texi be more
recent than internals.pdf...

I solved this by removing internals.texi and moving the contents inside
gnutls.texi.

/Simon