[gnutls-dev] Starting Guile integration

Ludovic Courtès ludo at chbouib.org
Wed Jun 6 17:22:08 CEST 2007

Hi,

Simon Josefsson <simon at josefsson.org> writes:

> Would it work to move GUILE_PROGS + GUILE_FLAGS down into the else-case?

Done.

> Yes -- otherwise people who don't have guile.m4 on their systems will
> get the above error when they build from CVS.  And we don't want to
> require that guile is installed in order to bootstrap gnutls.

Agreed.  Done.

>> There are still a couple of minor glitches:
>>
>>   * Code in `guile/src' doesn't want to be compiled with
>>     `-Wstrict-prototypes'.  Since adding `-Wno-strict-prototypes'
>>     doesn't annul the effect of `-Wstrict-prototypes', I'm afraid we'll
>>     have to remove `-Wstrict-prototypes' at the project level (i.e, in
>>     `configure.in'), and add it to `CFLAGS' in sub-directories where it
>>     makes sense.
>
> Ouch.  What is the reason the code needs this?  Maybe we can fix that
> problem instead.  It seems to build for me now, though, with warnings,
> but I'd rather have warning messages than potentially hiding other
> problems.

I fixed this by tweaking `AM_CFLAGS' (see Git log for details, commit
befacfea1d24f2b6b43ecdf12a22f47b160f39b6).

> It may be possible to re-define the function index somehow, perhaps we
> could ask on the texinfo list about this.  I think it would be cleaner
> to have a separate C API index and Scheme API index.  Although it is not
> important to fix this before the first releases.

After reading `(texinfo.gz)Functions Commands' and related nodes, I
couldn't find a way to do this.  It seems that the `@def*' macros cannot
be instructed to use a specific index.

>> For some reason, `make' now fails here in `doc/reference':
>>
>>   $ make -C doc/reference/
>>   make: Entering directory `/home/ludo/src/gnutls/doc/reference'
>>   gtk-doc: Scanning header files
>>   [...]
>>   gtk-doc: Compiling scanner
>>   gnutls-scan.c:5:25: error: glib-object.h: No such file or directory
>>   [...]
>>
>> Clearly, it lacks `pkg-config glib-2.0 --cflags` as CFLAGS.
>> Unfortunately, I wasn't able to pinpoint the root of the problem.
>> Re-running `autoreconf' and `configure' didn't help.  Any hint?
>
> Hm, which gtk-doc-tools version are you using?

I'm using 1.8-3 from Debian sid.  I still haven't found any way around
it.  :-(

> Btw, building fails in another way now:

[...]

> But I fixed this by adding a -I.

Perfect!  Again, sorry about that.

Hopefully, this is all looking better now.  Let me know if you notice
any other annoyance.

Thanks,
Ludovic.