[gnutls-dev] Guile needs 1.8?

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Tue Jun 26 22:35:34 CEST 2007

Hi,

Simon Josefsson <simon at josefsson.org> writes:

> I noticed now that this didn't work...  on my system, the command
> 'guile' is 1.8, but the guile-dev package is 1.6.

Hmm, annoying.  I think `guile-1.8-libs' should conflict with
`guile-1.6-dev', although that'd look strange.  The reason is that in
this case, the Guile M4 macros see `guile-config' from 1.6 but see
`guile' from 1.8...

>> No.  Those types and macros are actually defined in 1.6 as well.  It
>> just turned out that for some reason their definitions were not visible.
>>
>> Anyway, such a feature test wouldn't help since 1.6 and 1.8 are
>> significantly different API-wise.
>
> So, I still think it is better to test for some particular feature in
> the guile header files that is required by the guile bindings, which is
> available in v1.8 but not in v1.6.  I installed the patch below, what do
> you think?

> +      AC_COMPILE_IFELSE(AC_LANG_PROGRAM([
> +	#include <libguile.h>
> +SCM_API scm_t_bits scm_tc16_gnutls_cipher_enum;]),
> +	recent_guile=yes,recent_guile=no)

This only fails because `SCM_API' is undefined in 1.6.  Well, that's a
sufficient reason, but not a strong one.

Instead, I prefer the solution below that tries to link against Guile
and check for a function that appeared in 1.8 and will never appear in
1.6.

Does it look ok?

Thanks,
Ludovic.