[gnutls-dev] Guile related 'make install' failure

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Fri Jun 29 22:45:45 CEST 2007

Hi,

Simon Josefsson <simon at josefsson.org> writes:

> They need to read some instructions anyway, the above won't work unless
> the user has also added /usr/local/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf or set
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH to where libguile-gnutls-v-0.so is installed.  Otherwise
> you get error messages such as:

Hmm, right.

> I think the few users that will be affected by this need to read up on
> how to install things for their environment, in particular do one of:
>
> 1) Set %load-path, and possibly also the run-time linker search path, to
> let guile know where the gnutls module is located.
>
> 2) Use --with-guile-site-dir=no during installation.
>
> I have added a new section 'Guile Preparations' to the manual, see
> below.  What do you think?

Perfect, thanks for doing it!

Perhaps we could rather put it in an "Obtaining and Installing GnuTLS"
node (or similar), in between "Preface" and "The Library"?  "Guile
Preparations" would just be a sub-node, and I guess additional material
about GnuTLS-core could go in another sub-node (e.g., the information
under the "Compilation Issues" heading of the `README' file).

BTW, that'd also be an opportunity to mention `bug-gnutls at gnu.org'.

> The GnuTLS library itself needs similar "load-path" settings: the
> -R/usr/local/lib or LD_LIBRARY_PATH setting for the run-time linker.
> You need to install GnuTLS into /usr for the library to just "work out
> of the box".  Installing it anywhere else, including the default of
> /usr/local, requires that users go through extra steps to have it work.
> I think this is a pretty common scenario.

Good point.  From that perspective, `GUILE_LOAD_PATH' is actually no
different from `LD_LIBRARY_PATH'.

> That could be added, although I'm not sure if anyone ever actually reads
> such messages.

Well, yeah.  I for one don't read it, but I thought others did.  ;-)

Thanks,
Ludovic.