[gnutls-dev] sign callback for certificate authentication

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Fri May 11 15:48:36 CEST 2007

"Alon Bar-Lev" <alon.barlev at gmail.com> writes:

> Hello Simon,
>
> Can you please clean up the branch removing the scote requirement and
> PKCS#11 implementation, leaving only the engine callbacks so I can
> work on this?

Hi.  I'm making Scute an optional dependency on the branch now.

> BTW: Your API need to allow adding user data pointer so that callbacks
> will be able to access some private data.
>
> Ludovic already suggested this at:
> http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnutls-dev/2007-April/001434.html
> And I already suggested it at:
> http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnutls-dev/2007-May/001557.html

I've added this too.

> BTW2: You should add cleanup callback, so that resources can be
> released on session end.
> http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnutls-dev/2007-May/001557.html

This seem to be bloat to me, since it offers no additional
functionality.  Applications can cleanup resources when they deinit the
particular GnuTLS session that uses the sign callback, can they not?

> We can discuss the API before you start implementation, so if you
> provide the prototypes before implementation it will allow reduce
> efforts.

I'm considering to change the APIs (see below), so I didn't want to
spend time discussing the changes for the next release now (otherwise I
wouldn't have time to release it today).

When I have time to write down my ideas about the changes that are
necessary -- the sign callback should be set per
gnutls_certificate_credential_t and not per session -- we can discuss
the new API.  However, I'm going to be busy for about 10 days so nothing
will happen until after that.

What should be possible for you with the upcoming p11.2 release is to
write a PKCS#11 interface that can be invoked via the sign callback.  I
hope that you will be able to test signing via the callback and some
PKCS#11 provider that you have until I come back.  Then we your
experience and the new API, finalize it and bring it back into the 1.7.x
branch.

Thanks,
Simon