[gnutls-dev] Symmetric cipher API

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Nov 19 14:33:11 CET 2007

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 13:14, mrsam at courier-mta.com said:

> input piece-meal, as an arbitrary data stream, and the EVP functions
> take care of carving it up into block-sized chunks and feeding each
> chunk to the cipher function. Finally, the EVP functions take care of

The format of these chunks is entirely protocol depended and thus is not
a good choice for a low level API.  You think that CMS is what everyone
needs, I use OpenPGP more often and Joe Hacker thinks that BAR/9001 is a
better protocol and thus wants an API to fit its outer formatting rules.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner