[gnutls-dev] Work in progress: GnuTLS 2.2 release notes on API changes

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Wed Nov 21 21:21:55 CET 2007

On Sunday 18 November 2007, Simon Josefsson wrote:

> > What I had thought then was to make this parsing routine output the
> > result in a gnutls_priority_st structure and then associate this
> > struction with every session. If found that solution complex then...
>
> How about implementing the simple gnutls_set_priority function now, and
> if it turns out that it is actually a performance bottle-neck for some
> applications, we can add a gnutls_parse_priority and a new
> gnutls_set_preparsed_priority function to handle that.  I think for 90 %
> of the applications, the inefficiency doesn't matter.  Premature
> optimization is the root of all evil etc...

As it turns out using the current api with the strings, it might be more
convenient if the priorities are parsed initially and cached. That is because
on a server you don't want to print a parsing error of the priority string
on the first connection. That has to be done while parsing the configuration
file or command line. If I find some time this week I'll update the
repository.