[gnutls-dev] Time-based release schedule and GnuTLS v2.2 plans

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Tue Sep 11 17:08:09 CEST 2007

Florian Weimer <fweimer at bfk.de> writes:

> * Simon Josefsson:
>
>> I like the time-based release schedule of Gnome, Ubuntu etc, so I'd like
>> to do the same for GnuTLS.  I'm thinking of having 3 stable releases per
>> year.  I'm not sure about the timing, but considering that we just had a
>> stable release, I'm thinking 1 January, 1 May and 1 September.  What do
>> you think?
>
> A January 1st release date looks a bit unrealistic to me.  Of course,
> this depends on your personal schedule and on your reliance on
> external contributors.  Shifting a month in either direction might be
> a good idea.

January 1st also seems like a poor choice due to holidays.  So I think
we'll aim for February 1st.  Regarding schedule, I don't think v2.2
should require that much effort.  One of the points of having a
time-based stable release policy is that we release on that day
regardless of how much changes there has been.  Even if we haven't made
any changes at all (unlikely) we can release on time.

We need a wiki to co-ordinate the release plans...  although I'm quite
worried about spam and having to spend time maintaining the wiki.  Any
volunteers here?  Is it possible to setup a wiki and not having to spend
significant time maintaining it (user registration, spam removal,
password queries, etc..)?

/Simon