Size of Libgcrypt (and other libraries) and subsequent performance

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Thu Apr 24 12:30:33 CEST 2008

Simon Josefsson <simon at josefsson.org> writes:

>> ashish at ashish-desktop:~/Atemp/SSLExamples$ time ./gnutls/client
>> Finished
>>
>> real    0m0.294s
>> user    0m0.046s
>> sys     0m0.092s
>> ashish at ashish-desktop:~/Atemp/SSLExamples$ time ./openssl/client
>> FINISHED
>>
>> real    0m0.117s
>> user    0m0.004s
>> sys     0m0.004s
>
> Thanks for providing these test cases!  I'll see if I can reproduce your
> values, and if I can optimize anything.

Running wireshark reveals that gnutls sends each of the handshake
packets in separate TCP packets, but openssl combines them and sends
them in one TCP packet.  I'm not sure how much overhead this generates,
but since network traffic is involved, it may be significant.

Anyway, running callgrind on these binaries would be interesting... next
step.

/Simon