Problems with specific certificate/key (Debian Bug #426013)

Marc Haber mh+gnutls-devel at zugschlus.de
Thu Jan 3 01:36:06 CET 2008

Hi,

Simon Josefsson has suggested to me (a member of the maintainer team
for Exim's packages for the Debian Operating System) that it might be
a good idea to move a technical debate from our blogs
(http://blog.zugschlus.de/archives/585-exim4-vs.-OpenSSL-vs.-GnuTLS.html,
http://blog.josefsson.org/2007/11/09/response-to-gnutls-in-exim-debate/)
to gnutls-devel as this list is a better medium for archived discussion.

I'll send a dedicated mail for each of Debian's bug reports, so that
the threads are not going to intermix.

Debian Bug #426013, http://bugs.debian.org/426013
Simon writes:
> Appears to be an unreprodicible problem with a specific
> certificate/key which the user cannot reveal. Another certificate/key
> from the same CA works fine. Theory: could it be CRLF problems? Other
> non-ASCII characters in the file? Nothing indicates a real GnuTLS
> problem here.
> Conclusion: Likely not a GnuTLS problem.

I think that this conclusion was built too fast, but we do not have
sufficient information to know this.

The original reporter has said in the mean time that there are no
non-ascii chars in the file and that there are no CRLF issues here.
Currently, it is suspected that GnuTLS has issues with the fact that
the certificate is a wildcard certificate.

Greetings
Marc

Nordisch by Nature |  How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 3221 2323190